Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index

Faux Impressions - Sherwin Williams

ArtisphereOnline
Shimmer/Glimmer - Metallic - Mica

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slsparks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Shimmer/Glimmer - Metallic - Mica Reply with quote

What are you guys using for shimmering, reflective glazes and/or paint additives?

Looking for the perfect shimmer product that has shimmer without looking dark at certain angles (over creme or light beige base color), has no base color to it, like an opal/rainbow (blue/pink/violet/green/gold...etc). Shimmer must be fine, not flaked or crackled. I like the color of he ralph lauren candlelight product, but the sheen is too flaky or crystallized.

Is there a mica powder that fits this description? Now that my local Pearl art supply is moving they are down to virtually no powders on the shelf. Thinking of mixing it directly in to top coat (minwax satin polycrylic most likely). I'll be applying with a spray gun. Will use pint reservoir so constant shaking/stirring occurs to avoid settling.

Already mixed products:
What does faux effects have? They are close to my project, may need to go check it out, but do not want to waste my time if they do not have what I need - too busy.

Am also interested, in a general sense, in what you guys are using to create custom shimmer effects.

Tips and suggestions welcomed!

Sherry~
Fauxin Around

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherry,
Perfetto (Blue Pearl) has some really nice metallic glazes already mixed and they have amazing "open" and "working" time. They also have a product called Pearl Paste that comes in many different metallic colors. Wall Leaf is another of their great metallic products. Check it out http://metallicmart.com/
Faux Effects has their Iridescent or Hi-Lite Faux Creme Colors which you can mix into glaze or you can slip coat the wall with clear glaze, apply the Faux Creme Color right out of the bottle and then manipulate. This gives me the most metallic reflective quality from this product. They also have Venetian Gem Hi-Lite colors which is a synthetic venetian plaster version of the Iridescent or Hi-Lite colors mentioned above. Great stuff also, just depends upon what you are looking to do with it.
I hope this helps

kawear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, Lowe's makes and opal glaze that is very sheer with the nice reflective colors you described. It is also very easy to use. Here is a medallion I used it on. Unfortuately you only see the colors when the light reflects off of it, I couldn't capture that in the photo.

I have also been using alot of the Blue Pearl Silk Soft paints. They have gorgeous colors and a subtle beautiful shimmer. I also like the Blue Pearl glazes.

Description:
 Viewed:  8171 Time(s)

opal-medallion.jpg

Fauxin Around

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about the Silk Soft. Really pretty stuff too. Your medallion looks great and I am sure it is even better in person.
lynne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been very impressed with the modern master's products- they go so much further than i expected them to. great for glazes and washes, but it's not so great for "painting" with

golden has some great iridescent and metallic paints. one of my favorites is their "stainless steel"
when mixed with coper and gold, it makes a fabulous tarnished white gold effect.

Description:
walls are glazed with a layer of modern master's iridescent gold, applied with a sponge.
 Viewed:  8160 Time(s)

seabath2.jpg

Description:
fortuny-insired stencil with golden metallic paint, on a silk velvet coat.
 Viewed:  8160 Time(s)

arabesque.jpg

http://www.ornamentalist.net
http://www.lynnerutter.com
slsparks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love goldens metallics....but alas they go dark when not reflecting...all their interference colors have too strong a base. Like the combo Lynne. I use the bronze and mix it with silver quite often.

Stupid sticky mac keyboard...driving me nuts.

Will check out the opal at lowes...behr has a white opal...which is close but still a bit too blue and pink. The gold opal too green.

No one using straight mica powders in glaze? Thanks in advance.

Sherry~
strongv
Moderator/Advisor

us.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add mica powders if you like to just about anything with a clear base.. even hyperload MM metallic to make a really saturated gold. Its kind of an expensive way to go, but heck...when you want a really thick and crusty layer.... go for it.

Over all... I use Modern Masters mostly. It just has a great range of colors and a decent price and its easy to get. I often use Tequila Gold for a rich warm gold.

But I have a back stock of powders, Briste Metal Effects paste, even Lowe's American Tradition metallic (love their pale gold when I don't want a hint of darkness) Mckluskies.... whatever I can get my hands on. I have some Aqua product stuff for violet iridescent... its a thick paste and goes on very sheer...

Golden has a nice antique copper....very useful..
lisascenic

us.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden used to send out sample. I'm not sure it they still do. I think their interference colors are sublime. The thing is that they work better on a dimensional form than on a flat wall. (Or at least, that has been my experience.)

Give the company a call. It couldn't hurt to ask!

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/
arlene

us.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Goldens too, I use MM for my basic faux work but for really reflective qualitys I really love uca powders and either wax or glaze.
KathyFakesIt

ca.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sher,

I can't add much to what Rhonda said but...

I like the Golden too, and the proceed line has some which you could thin down with glaze to be more transparent.

I agree with Pat, I haven't had to add mica to any of the ones mentioned, but maybe what you want is just glaze and mica??? Do you want pearl or clear base?

ALso, an inexpensive opal is made by Pratt and Lambert, I think it's called Ovation - sheer and pretty, like Kathy's medallion which is lovely BTW.

slsparks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool guys...thanks...keep em coming.

Sherry~
arrwiley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Proceed pearl medium from Golden is quite good...it doesn't darken at an angle like the interference colors do either, I've noticed that too. If you want to try out a sample of that, you can pick them up here:
http://www.fauxalacarte.com/proceed.htm

Ryan

http://www.wileyhoeger.com
Freedee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it's best to use mica powders and add them to glazes or paints. I used to buy them from Sepp in NYC, but they stopped selling them except in a few colors and in very large quantities. Now I buy then from NY central, (who buys them from Sepp, I think, I don't care anyway). You can buy a sample set and play with them. There's no reason not to buy the mica powders separately. That way you can control it.

I buy them in kilos and I have some left over. I can put some in an envelope for you if you e-mail me with your address.
UpStateMike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOLDEN Interference Colors are highly pigmented like the other paint lines. IMHO there's very little use for them right out of the container and should always be extended with a medium or Acrylic Glazing Liquid, etc. In most cases start at a 10 to 20 parts medium to 1 part paint and adjust from there. This will also help to achieve a better shimmer overall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Faux Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Finishers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: