Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index

Faux Impressions - Sherwin Williams

ArtisphereOnline
light glaze over dark base

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gypsylady46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: light glaze over dark base Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and help. I am trying to fix my painting disaster in my home. It's just paint......so it's not so bad. My question is this.....my living room color is wayyyy too dark and bold and I want to lighten it up significantly. It is a deep gold and I was wondering if a light glaze over it would look ok. Everything I read says to start with light and put on a darker glaze. Has anyone had any luck with the opposite?
Shelley

us.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im my very own humble opinion, rather than attempting to 'fix' what is there, doing all the work and then realizing you dont like the 'fix', I would just repaint the walls. To glaze them isnt saving you any time or money.

We would love to see pictures.... we always love pictures

http://www.sageVA.com

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Blog Twitter
KathyFakesIt

ca.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately think you can put light over dark!

But Shel is right - why don't you do a sample first either paint a board your wall colour first and then glaze, or try it out on same place hidden by furniture or something.

Elena

us.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an example...

Description:
dark base, with light glaze.
They wanted me to cover a coffee stain that was coming back after painting the ceiling several times
 Viewed:  9791 Time(s)

process.jpg

Description:
final. They haven't seen the stain back in over 2 years
 Viewed:  9791 Time(s)

kitchen.jpg

Steve

se.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aging, Distressing, Decorative, and Texured Patinas are your four basic glazes.

Adding a glaze to soften or deepen a color would fall under decorative or aging as it serves to create harmony to a design or alter a color.

You most certainly can alter your paints color with a coat of glaze. What color you choose is up to you, your tastes, and your decorating. For my tastes, I like subtle rather than bold. So, I would choose a color that is lighter than what I had painted, but only a few shades lighter on the color swatch. But again, that is my taste.

Alternatively, you could choose another color all together. Either case, if you are attempting this for the first time, choose your color, mix your glaze and test a small area. Also, if you don't mind the extra work, glazing in very thin layers will allow you to not over lighten too soon. If you feel you want another coat, you could do it.

I have done this for several clients. One case: her yellow was too bright in her bathroom. Without even taping, I took some white and glaze, and with a very very thin soft wash using a paint brush, I rubbed the glaze over the yellow which 'killed' the part of the yellow that was screaming 'look at me', took about 15 mins. was much softer, and she was very pleased. Another case was a peach bathroom, I rubbed a Ralph Lauren gold with the same results, 30 min's this time, and I had a gorgeous Gold finish.

Fauxin Around

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these are great suggestions, and until you get in there and try you will not know what works for your situation. I suggest that you do a sample first whether you are going to try to lighten up what you already have or if you are going to start all over... either way please, please, please save yourself some headache and sample it out!!! If you are going to try to save what you have already done then I would get a sample board and put all the layers that are currently on your wall and then try to lighten. Also, remember that it is not always the best choice to go straight for the white to lighten. You may be better off using a lighter version of the color currently on the wall... take that color down to nearly white and maybe use that. You could also use a lighter version of your paint color in a metallic glaze. Both the lightness and the reflective quality of the metallic would lighten the overall look. Lots of choices at hand, but just do several samples and you will immediately see which one you like best! Good luck and please show pictures!!
SSODP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a bronze glaze over the gold? Or buy a couple shades lighter of paint and mix into AquaGlaze to lighten up the finish or you can plaster your walls in a lighter tone, like Champagn Mist or Antique Parchment LusterStone.

Always do a sample first- Have fun creating!

Happy Holidays!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Faux Forum Forum Index -> Faux For Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: