Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index

Faux Impressions - Sherwin Williams

ArtisphereOnline
Help! Paint not sticking to glass!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
susanfws

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Help! Paint not sticking to glass! Reply with quote

I hope someone can enlighten me here, PLEASE! I am painting a family crest on a glass door for a client. I am using Modello stencils in layers for each color of the crest. I clean the glass, then apply (with a brush) Prime Etch which I let dry for 24 hours, then I'm using Krylon spray paint (good on glass and excellent coverage). Then I wait another 24 hours before I pull the Modello. But it's not consistent on my test sample. Some layers are fine, others completely pull the paint off. Help! What am I doing wrong here? I can't start the actual window until the sample works. There is no rhyme or reason for this. Anyone have any ideas about what might is going wrong?
lynne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like maybe the glass still has a residue on it.

try cleaning the glass with a bit of Bon Ami and some denatured alcohol to really make sure it's polished any residue off and is really clean.

Prime Etch is just called "etch" but it does not actually etch anything. if you need to etch the glass (which you probably don't) use etching cream. But you should not have to use any primer to get the paint to stick to the glass. if the glass is clean enough the paint should stick.

IMO you should skip the primer and try using a stronger paint.

I have had very good results painting on glass with japan enamels, one shot (sign enamel), and artist oils.

Keim makes a mineral silicate paint that actually bonds chemically with the glass. (I haven't tried it but I really want to! )

http://www.ornamentalist.net
http://www.lynnerutter.com
susanfws

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lynne! I tried using the one shot enamels but it didn't cover evenly. I haven't heard of the others and unfortunately don't have time to order anything as they need the doors back next week. I'll try super cleaning the glass though, maybe that's the problem! That and possibly the humidity. I appreciate your input!
anita

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience with primetch is that it takes longer than 24 hours to really dry and pull cleanly. Try waiting 72 hours before pulling and see if that helps. If all else fails run the tip of an exacto knife gently along edge of modello to score paint and encourage clean pulling. The blade does not need to be sharp.
susanfws

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Anita! I'll also try giving it more time before I pull the Modello. It's just frustrating to wait so much time between each layer. And I'm so afraid of starting the final project on the actual doors without being sure each layer of color will behave! I know it can be done, I'm just going to have to be more patient I guess...which is not something I'm very good at!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Faux Forum Forum Index -> Stenciling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: