Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index Faux Forum Forum Index

Faux Impressions - Sherwin Williams

ArtisphereOnline
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mimi1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a reply from the Annie Sloan distributor for Rhode Island, Nancy, as to what sealer can be used on kitchen cabinets, and this was her response:
"A marine grade varnish or urethane can be used over the Annie Sloan
Chalk Paint for wet conditions. You may already be familiar with the
Faux Effects product line. I recommend the Faux Effects Clear Coat
Product line as it is non-yellowing. It is available at the Faux Store.
Under wet conditions, the C-500 Product would be recommended as a top
coat. Here is some info and the link:

C-500™ Super
Urethane Topcoat

http://www.fauxstore.com/Pages/GL_C500Page.html
C-500 Urethane is a commercial quality, water based, clear topcoat
manufactured by Faux Effects for use in water-wet conditions or where
maximum durability is desired. C-500 Urethane is pre-catalyzed so there
is no messy mixing or measuring required. This product bonds and seals
so completely it can be used for water fountain areas, decorative sink
bowls, vanities, and kitchen counter tops. Available in Gloss, Satin, or
Dull sheens in a variety of sizes."

I guess it is worth trying.

Mimi
wallartistrydebra

us.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply...I've been swamped with work and just haven't had time to visit. Penetrating sealer is great for floors (we will be carrying Annie's floor varnish-very different from anything here on the US market- in a couple of weeks or so). Annie still recommends wax for cabinets and table tops and after extensive testing, I totally agree. I'm thrilled with the performance. I posted a standing water test on my Facebook page. Check it out: www.facebook.com/wallartistrystudio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Blog Twitter
msarts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting.

Having tried ASCP at IDAL, I figured, why not, let's go for it...and talked a decorator into letting me use it for an armoire (ASCP, then a glaze...didn't like how the tinted wax worked...then two coats Varnish Plus), and then did the floor of my husband's home office with two shades of chalk paint, including a stencil and two coats of Ben Moores Stays Clear. The soft wax didn't give me the look I wanted and the dark wax was the wrong dark. I tried mixing soft wax with universals and didn't like the way it handled. Tried dry pigment, and while it handled well on a small scale, didn't work well on a large scale (4 x 6 feeet). This was over a clear wax. So, I went with the glaze. We will see...

I talked to five different stockists (including two in GB)...every one told me something different about what to use and how to use it.

It's a great product, but it seems to me that we're stuck between those who want to stay "in the system" (doesn't every manufacturer want that?) and those who cross systems.

It's frustrating, so I am going with what I know about paint, and mixing my systems. Sooner or later, I'll learn
Elena

us.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed IDAL so I didn't know about this paint either, I have it on my wish list now, it looks awesome!
Hi Mimi!! Very Happy

smile...it confuses people...
wallartistrydebra

us.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for all the confusion out there! We are rectifying that with a new Train the Trainer Program that all Stockist and Mini Stockist must take so that they can better answer questions.
C-500 is NOT compatible with the Chalk Paint. Chalk Paint is not an acrylic resin product that forms a film and the C-500 is a very "hot" product. Not good. 99.9% of clear coats sold here in the US market should not be used with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
I highly recommend taking a course from a knowlegable Stockist that has finished their training through this new program. If you're not sure about something, I recommend you talk to a Certified Stockist as they are in charge of training everyone retailing the product. There are 8 Certified Stockist here in the US. I am one of them; however, you can find the Stockist or Certified Stockist nearest you by visiting the distributor website at www.anniesloanunfolded.com
This is not paint like anything else on the market, and therefore, a better understanding of the products would be very helpful Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Blog Twitter
marilyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a hutch with chalk paint, but didn't skip the sanding part so it would have a nice feel. It looks metallic in the photo but itsn't real life.

Description:
 Viewed:  8446 Time(s)

hutch.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter
LisaRickert

us.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Top Coats Reply with quote

There seems to be a little confusion on the topic so I just wanted to clear things up a bit. All of our Stockist are qualified to teach about Annie Sloan techniques, but we do have a few that are certified to teach others (i.e. teachers of Train the Trainer), but any of them can offer sound advice.

Many of our Stockist are seasoned artist and have various schools of thought and favorite products. Annie Sloan and Jolie Design are taking a position to strongly suggest the use of Annie Sloan branded products with one another. We ask our Stockist to now do the same. If people are uncomfortable using any of our products (Soft Wax or Matte Lacquer) over the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint as a top coat, we tell them they should test it, proceed with caution, and do so at their own risk. I think if those with reservations would test the durability of our products, they may be pleasantly surprised.

All the Best,
Lisa Rickert, Jolie Design & Decor, Inc.
Distributor for Annie Sloan
www.anniesloanunfolded.com
1st year apprentice

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mimie this is a product I know I will use. Fortunate have Cait Whitson here in Scotland to guide me. Saw her demonstrate this product to a large audience in Glasgow. Now awaiting a class with her that coincides with me be here in Scotland. I was also very very impressed with the demo's at Idal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Faux Forum Forum Index -> Furniture Painting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: